Kensington Volunteer Fire Department provides its members with the unique opportunity of having a free home in exchange for their service as a Volunteer Firefighter and/or Emergency Medical Technician. Located within a close proximity to multiple institutions of higher education, such as the University of Maryland at College Park, KVFD provides an excellent opportunity for those who wish to combine their college education with a thriving Volunteer Fire Department. Members live in the bunkroom and are provided with a bed and adequate storage for personal belongings. Students are provided with multiple desks, computers with internet access, and a quiet work area in the station's computer room.
The Live-In program with the KVFD provides members with the opportunity to gain unparalleled firefighting and EMS experience in a relatively short period of time. Members of the department have come from Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, and beyond to take advantage of our program.
Here is some additional information that may help you make your decision to BECOME A LIVE-IN TODAY! We think that you may find that there are some significant benefits that the live-in member with the K.V.F.D. receives by meeting certain requirements.
- Free Room and Board
- Tuition Reimbursement Programs
- Experience (Gain not only a tremendous amount of experience as a Firefighter / EMT being with a busy company in an urban setting, as well as personal experiences that will last you a lifetime.)
- Free Uniforms
- Free Training - Classes ranging from Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic, Fire Officer Development, and Heavy Apparatus Driving Courses
- Free Wireless Internet and Computer Access
- Free Access to Fitness and Physical Training Equipment
- Free Bed Linens (Provided by the Company)
- Tax Break - $3,500 Maryland State Tax break after 3 years of membership
- Location - 4 miles from Washington, D.C., 37 miles from Baltimore, and 2 Miles from the Metro rail Red Line.
- Retirement - Length of Service Awards Program
- Submit request to the Live-in coordinator for approval to become a live-in member.
- Perform a minimum of four stand-by shifts each week.
- Perform assigned weekly house chores.
- Live-ins MUST hold a full-time job, be enrolled in school Full Time, or a combination of the two.
For more information contact our Vice President of Human Resources, Jaa Dyer at (301) 929-8000 or visit our links.